FAQ for BLOMP (updated constantly)

BlompTeam
Site Admin

FAQ for BLOMP (updated constantly)

Post by BlompTeam » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:08 am

Thank you for joining us on Blomp's Beta! :D Last edited 11/09/2021

:?: What is Blomp?

Blomp was created to answer the question, "Where do you store your most important photos, videos and files?" We looked around and didn't like what we saw. Blomp is built from the ground up to be friendly, easy and transparent. We don't market other services to you, scan your emails or sell your information. Period.

We know you'll love and trust Blomp with everything you want safe, secure, permanent access to.

We will never sell your information, mine your information or in any way take advantage of your confidence. :!:

:?: Why so much space?

Today everyone needs more storage than they ever thought. Photos, Video, 4K/6K/8K HD, and probably many things we haven't even thought of. We can't get enough of the stuff ourselves!

:?: How is the service so fast?

Well, we don't know for sure... but it could be the little critters in the servers running really fast! Just kidding. We are pretty sure other guys slow their services down to force you to buy expensive or unnecessary upgrades. That's not how we do it. Run as fast as you want, use whatever software you want. Rock out!

:?: What software is available to use Blomp?

Blomp has two free software suites that we fully support and update for you. Blomp Live and Blomp Go. Blomp Live is currently available for Windows, Android, Mac and Linux with IOS support in a few weeks. Blomp Go is a virtual drive service and is available in the GUI for Windows. But that's not the best part!

Blomp doesn't require you to use our cloud storage software -- even though we think its fast, secure, and easy to use. You can use any compatible software you'd like! Since Blomp uses a state of the art object storage system, you can use software written for OpenStack, S3 or others. We fully support Veritas, rclone Cyberduck, Duplicati, Dropshare, Expandrive, CloudMounter, StackSync, Apache Spark, and many other popular free and open source packages! There are a ton of tutorials out there for IBM's Bluemix, OVH, memset, Rackspace Cloud Files, NetApp, QuantaStor, Fujitsu, Nexenta,

:?: Is there any limit to file size?

Not really. We have successfully tested single files over 40G and there is no real limit in the system. If you use the web interface, with a file over say 1GB, the file is uploaded automatically in chunks, reassembled and then uploaded again (in the background) to our data store. That takes some time but you have little flags that will tell you the status... or just ignore it and it just shows up like magic.

BlompLive and BlompGo (and perhaps some third party tools) the file must be broken into bits no larger than 5GB and reassembled on upload. Our clients do this for you automatically... so there is nothing for you to do or consider. It's all seamless.

BlompGo has a cache for its uploading. This means on your C: drive, you need to have a bit more space available than the total of the files you are uploading... so if you have a HUGE file... you'll need all of that space free at the time you start. BlompGo will release that space after its done uploading. If you need to free space on your system by using BlompGo, you may want to move some smaller files first to make enough extra room.

If you aren't using our tools and have trouble at 5GB, this is most likely the reason -- the tool doesn't support multi-part uploads.

:?: Is there any limit to network bandwidth?

For storing files, there is no limit. For sharing or downloading your files, generally the limit would be around the same as your storage, so if you have a 250GB account and you retrieve over 250GB of bandwidth consistently, we may ask you to upgrade plans. In a single month of unusual usage, we are unlikely to ask you to make any changes. We don't want to keep you from living your best life!

:?: How do I move from Dropbox/Google/Mega/someone else to Blomp?

We have built tutorials for many services, and are glad to make more if you need them. Just drop a note in the General support area on https://support.blomp.com and our Blompers will get right on it. If you build a how-to, we'll be glad to share it!

:?: 20GB free is great, how do I get more?

You can get more many different ways -- inviting your friends and family. For each active invited user, you get an additional 20GB of storage, all the way up to 200GB.

If that isn't good enough, you can always pay a small fee to upgrade to one of our paid plans starting at $0.99 and up to 10TB of storage accessible on all of your devices! 8-)

:?: I'm concerned if Blomp is safe or not because Blomp is cheaper and way more rewarding than other cloud services. How is that possible and can I trust Blomp?

Absolutely, give us a try! You will not be disappointed. We can't speak for those other guys or why they are charging more, but we're as safe as it gets!

:?: What's the fine print?

As a free user, you need to login to the https://dashboard.blomp.com dashboard or the https://support.blomp.comsupport area monthly to keep your account. If you don't stay active, we will send you some reminders. Your files (up to 200GB with friend referrals) will not be deleted as long as you keep your account in good standing (means active monthly).

We don't use your data. We don't scan your data. We won't remarket things to you. We aren't like that...

As a paid user, you don't need to login monthly and you get more storage without having to invite your friends.

:?: What if I need help?

Great question! If we've done our job right, everything should just make sense. But if there is something that can be improved, or clarified or just gets stuck, please post a message on https://support.blomp.com. The reason we do it all publicly is to improve the experience for other Blompers who may have the same question. When you signed up, a support account was automatically created for you.

:?: How do I share files? How do I send a link to files in my Blomp account to others?

Simple answer! Right click on a file in the web dashboard, and you'll be offered the option to share either by email address to the whole world.

:?: How do I download a folder, a bunch of folders or everything in my account?

In the web interface, there is a link called "Bulk Download" where you can select folders or files to download. When you click it, it'll build a ZIP file for you and send you an email when its ready to download. The link is good for 30 days. Also a fun stocking-stuffer. jk.

:?: I got super excited and uploaded everything! But I can't see all of the files in BlompLive?

In the current version of BlompLive, there is a 10,000 file/folder limit. After that, it won't see everything. If you are storing over 10,000 files and folders with us, you need to use our WebUI or BlompGo until the newest version of BlompLive is released. Certain third party packages have this same 10,000 file limit.

:?: I bought an upgraded plan but I don't see the storage increase?

We hate it when that happens! Sometimes because of the way the different payment processors work, it can take a few minutes for the payment to be communicated to us. We use Paypal and others to keep your payment information super secure (we don't store or ever receive it!) but we have to wait for them to let us know. Blomper will send you an email as soon as its been processed!

:?: I love you guys, but I need to cancel.

No problem, there are contracts, no commitments. If you cancel your paid account, you automatically downgrade to a free account.

If you don't keep your free account active, it will automatically go away after a few reminders.

Or you can select "cancel" in https://dashboard.blomp.com.

:?: I love you guys, but I want to delete my account. It's not you, it's me.

We're awfully sad to be broken up with, but tons of free, safe, secure storage isn't for everyone. Sometimes we try to make our life way harder than it needs to be.

We do not control or keep your payment information. If you want to end your paid subscription (Although that would break our hearts :( ), you can do that through your Paypal portal.

To have Blomp deactivate your account, you can select "Close Account" in Your Blomp Profile and your account will be deactivated and eventually removed.

:?: I got so excited, I double-paid!

We love that! Don’t worry, your account will automatically extend your service for the additional time… you can see these details on the dashboard billing page!
BlompTeam

---
Blomp
Blomp Music Video