Linux Blompinstall

johnnyjazz

Linux Blompinstall

Post by johnnyjazz » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:57 pm

Hi,
I'm a new user. A couple of things. Basic things.
I'm using Linux and I'm not seeing that you have documentation for it. Or do you have any documentation? I hope you do. It's important to a company's success, both internal as well as external. (But then, Some companies don't believe in documentation. I hope that's not you!)

Anyway, once downloaded and installed, the Blomp installer works. What joy...until that is, you close the application and then try to re-open it.

How? Where? The program simply disappears. There is no shortcut icon. No file to execute anywhere to be seen. I don't see any executable in the Blomp directories.

What is the name of the executable that you have to run to open it? Assuming we can ever find it. Mystery of mysteries.

Also, back-tracking to the installation, when you click the downloaded Blomp installer, it gives an error: "unknown file type".

I figured out the problem, but perhaps you might mention to potential new customers on Linux that they need to grant permissions to run the Blomp installer on Linux, by right-clicking the file > Properties > Permissions. From there, you need to grant read/write access to both users and groups and then allow executing the file as a program.

None of this may be obvious unless one is an experienced Linux user.

Anyway, I'm hoping you can resolve the mystery of the missing Blomp executable.

BlompSupport

Re: Linux Blompinstall

Post by BlompSupport » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:41 am

Hello johnnyjazz,

Thank you for the suggestion that we include more detailed Linux documentation, we will work towards that.

To clear up some confusion:
The Blomp install folder is in /opt/Blomp. The blomp executable itself is /opt/Blomp/Blomp.

If you're having issues with the installer, you may not have marked it executable. You can do this via GUI by right clicking the installer, and then properties. Select "mark for executable". If you would rather do this from the command line, you should use the "chmod" command to set the permissions. I believe in most Linux installations any executable that is downloaded from the internet is not marked for execution by default, this is a safety feature for the user.

Thanks,
BlompSupport

hpiatkowski73

Post by hpiatkowski73 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:01 pm

How did you install the application? I downloaded the BlompInstall.0.5.5, but what kind of file is it? How do I install it? Like you said, some documentation would be nice to have. - OK i figured this one out - make it executable..

Now.. I look in my /opt/Blomp and there is no Blomp subfolder or executable, but the install said it was successful, so.. what do I do next?

thanks,

-H

BlompSupport

Post by BlompSupport » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:42 am

Hello H,

You can download the latest installer from our website at https://www.blomp.com/

We are currently in the process of integrating automatic update, but .0.5.5 does not have that feature.
Please remove the /opt/Blomp folder entirely. Download the latest version from our website.
Mark this download as executable. Following that you should see a smooth installation.

You will find that your executable is located in /opt/Blomp/Blomp

Thanks,
BlompSupport

hpiatkowski73

Post by hpiatkowski73 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:04 am

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I did download the latest version and when I try to run it from GUI nothing happens, so when I run it from terminal, this is what I see :

./BlompInstall.0.9.13: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxkbcommon.so.0: no version information available (required by ./BlompInstall.0.9.13)
./BlompInstall.0.9.13: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxkbcommon-x11.so.0: no version information available (required by ./BlompInstall.0.9.13)
./BlompInstall.0.9.13: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available (required by ./BlompInstall.0.9.13)
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
./BlompInstall.0.9.13: relocation error: ./BlompInstall.0.9.13: symbol dbus_message_get_allow_interactive_authorization, version LIBDBUS_1_3 not defined in file libdbus-1.so.3 with link time reference

Any ideas?

thanks,

-H

BlompSupport

Post by BlompSupport » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 am

Hi H,

Please let me know your Linux distribution and version number so that I may confer with the development team.

Thanks,
BlompSupport

hpiatkowski73

Post by hpiatkowski73 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:32 am

I'm using Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit

Cinnamon v 2.8.8
Linux Kernel 3.13.0-162-generic

Thanks,

-H

BlompSupport

Post by BlompSupport » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:49 am

Hi H,

I will reach out to the development team and see if we can get this resolved. In the mean time, feel free to use blomp from the online dashboard located at dashboard.blomp.com. We are also available on Android, iOS, Win, and Mac.

Thanks,
BlompSupport

johnnyjazz

Post by johnnyjazz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:57 pm

Hi Thanks for your prompt response.

Regarding: The Blomp install folder is in /opt/Blomp. The blomp executable itself is /opt/Blomp/Blomp.

Here is the list of all files inside the Blomp folder that I have.

/opt/Blomp/app.png
/opt/Blomp/BlompUpdate
/opt/Blomp/BlompUpdate.dat
/opt/Blomp/BlompUpdate.ini
/opt/Blomp/components.xml
/opt/Blomp/network.xml
/opt/Blomp/qtdtapp

As you can see from this list, there is no Blomp/Blomp.

I did not touch or delete anything from this folder.

So the problem of being able to launch Blomp remains. Could it be elsewhere? What to do?

Thanks,

Johnnyjazz.

johnnyjazz

Post by johnnyjazz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:03 pm

By the way, whether relevant or not, but like "H", I am on Linux Mint 19.3.