Serious Issue with Blomp - corrupts .mp4 video file when its downloaded

anneabo32

Serious Issue with Blomp - corrupts .mp4 video file when its downloaded

Post by anneabo32 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:50 pm

Hello,

I found a bug or an issue with your file storage system. Let me explain that:

1. Yesterday, I uploaded a few .mp4 files and I was so relax that now my data is secure.
FYI: I uploaded a few video files having an extension of .mp4
and it was 1 gb file
2 gb and 3 gb files

Once the upload was done and I was about to delete those .mp4 video files from my computer.

But I got an idea to just test one of the files which I uploaded at blomp so I downloaded one of those .mp4 file (before I delete them from my computer) and after downloading the file I found it was corrupted and it played only for a few seconds and then stopped playing. I found The whole download file was corrupted. Then I thought it might be a coincident so I downloaded all the other files one by one which I uploaded at blomp and found all were corrupted. They all played only a few seconds and rest the whole video file was corrupted.

Whereas all the files which I uploaded I still had a original copy with me so I played them and they all played well, which leads to this conclusion that your service has a serious flaw which corrupts .mp4 video files.

I'm grateful I didn't delete the files from my computer but it raised a question in my mind that there is some issue in your cloud service. I uploaded the same files to dropbox in past and I did it again yesterday and It didn't have any issue when I downloaded them so please fix the issue with your service.

These are my private .mp4 files so I can't share with you for testing but you can upload any .mp4 video files (1080p) which has 1 gb size and 2gb size and 3 gb size and then download them and you will find they will not play well.

In a nutshell, yesterday at the end of the day I had to delete all the files from blomp which I uploaded because all were corrupted so again please fix the issue before I consider using as my daily cloud service.

2. Second issue is till yesterday I was getting 2-3 mb download speed when I downloaded the files form blomp whereas today I found it was only 300kbps download speed which is pathetic, I can't work with slow speed as I feel comfortable when speed is good.
May be you restricted the download speed... I'm not sure

BTW my net speed is fast. I always check at my end whenever there is an issue and still I did it a few times today it is above 60mbps both download and upload so not an issue at my end. I tried many times to download files.
but blomp is downloading at 300kbps

I taken time to report you this issue and I Hope you will do your best to fix the issue.

Regards
Anne

BlompSupport

Re: Serious Issue with Blomp - corrupts .mp4 video file when its downloaded

Post by BlompSupport » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:46 pm

Hello anneabo32,

Yikes! We are sorry to hear that you almost lost those files. I am glad you had the sense of mind to check that your videos, before removing them from your local machine! We have not limited download speeds, so we will check on that as well.

What operating system are you using? (Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra, etc)

We appreciate your detailed report, it helps us improve a lot!
Thank you for your patience as we continue to move towards a full release.

Thanks,
BlompSupport

anneabo32

Post by anneabo32 » Mon May 18, 2020 10:26 pm

Hi again,

I waited for your reply for a few days then I stopped checking.

I'm glad your replied!

1. As far as speed is concerned, after started this thread I tried again to upload, and speed was not that much high (as initially it was) but it was quite acceptable so I can make do with that (if it retains) but more importantly files should get corrupted otherwise there is no point of uploading whether speed is slow or fast, does it makes sense?

>What operating system are you using?
I use Windows 10 OS (I guess it has nothing to do with this issue)
because I use your website in browser to upload the file. I already tried Firefox, chrome etc... Same issue happens and trust me I've experience how to use these things. There is is issue with your cloud service because at the same time I also use other cloud service and No issues, same files uploads and downloads fine with other service like dropbox.

>We appreciate your detailed report, it helps us improve a lot!
I already explained in my thread in detail (please see the 1st point) how the files got corrupted after uploading to cloud
so please have a look at that. I explained everything how I tested?

If you need any other help please let me know.
Please do update here once the issue is fixed.
I really wish you fix the issue.

UPDATE May 19:
I again gave it another try. Blomp Cloud still has a bug and it corrupts the file. I uploaded a very small file and when I downloaded it, it didn't work. there was some header error. Apart form this, Today my friend shared with me that he also uses your services and in past he uploaded very important stuff on blomp and I'm terrified by just thinking that his all files will have been corrupted and he doesn't even have a backup!!!

BlompTeam
Site Admin

Post by BlompTeam » Thu May 21, 2020 6:27 pm

Thank you for your update!

We are checking to see if this is related to a bug we found in an open source library that was supposed to be fixed.

Your help in our Beta is most appreciated. The issue you are seeing shouldn't affect the Windows desktop client (BlompLive).

Blomp On!

BlompTeam
Site Admin

Post by BlompTeam » Fri May 22, 2020 2:32 pm

Please try it again. We've put a slightly slower code path that we've used more. Seems to address your concern on downloads. Uploads were never having issues.

Thanks Blomper!